The final whistle
did not conclude the match...
It merely nationalised my broken memory.
When I was watching the final World Cup
or the World Cup final
The stadium became a Parliament
where every misplaced pass
was standing like the opposition MPs
of hindsight mind.
Messi alone
walked like a constitutional amendment
bearing upon his shoulders
the exhausted grammar
of an entire constitution..
Around him,
the other eleven passports
forgot their visas to excellence.
Their boots
voted for hesitation.
Their lungs abstained.
Their shadows
crossed the floor of history
without raising a single question.
I watched.
And suddenly discovered
that my own unwritten pages
had been warming the substitute's bench
for years.
How many revolutions
have I postponed
by waiting for a perfect referee?
How many poems
have died in committee meetings
inside my skull?
Every morning
my intentions campaign for power.
Every evening
they become coalition governments,
too fragile
to pass even the smallest bill
of courage.
The nation inside me
wants to have a PM
like Modiji and an Education Minister
like Dharmendra or Smiriti Irani..ji
every hour.
My confidence resigns
because of the immoral agitators
assembeled inside my Janta Mandir..
My doubt
wins the by-election
without contest
The media of memory
replays my missed opportunities
with multilingual subtitles.
Failure is never live.
It is always telecast in high definition.
Some days I become like Messi
not because I possess genius,
but because
every ordinary citizen must occasionally carry
an extraordinary burden
that was democratically distributed
yet mysteriously privatised.
On other days
I resemble the anonymous midfield
running, occupying space,
manufacturing statistics,
while history records only the name
that lifted the trophy or the honour
Perhaps every civilisation survives
because one heart continues to play
even when ten hearts are negotiating surrender.
The scoreboard, after all,
is merely the distorted popularity commissions
of a single evening.
But character counts ballots
across geological time.
So tomorrow
I shall enter my unfinished life
like a footballer
walking back onto the pitch
after an unforgivable first half,
knowing
that the republic of the self
is not defended
by perfect performances,
but by refusing to secede
from one's own possibilities.
Ragavapriyan Thejeswi.
Comments
Post a Comment